The New Milton Talking Newspaper is a Registered Charity No 1076207. Please click on the link below if you wish to read our Constitution:
We are part of a network of Talking Newspapers and a member of the Talking News Federation.
Our primary aim is to provide a free weekly Talking Newspaper on USB/memory stick (some listeners still receive CDs) by post to visually-impaired listeners:
– in the New Forest area from the outskirts of Bournemouth to the outskirts of Southampton taking in the coastal towns and villages from Christchurch to Hythe.
– who have moved out of the area but wish to continue to receive the Talking Newspaper.
We can provide a password to the partially-sighted listener so that the current edition may be heard online.
A News Taster is available online with 5-9 items of news from the current edition to give listeners a flavour of what is in our Talking Newspapers.
We also aim to provide access to a recent (usually the previous week’s) Talking Newspaper and Quarterly Talking Magazines in this website.
Our current Talking Newspaper and latest Talking Magazine are also available in the Sonata Streaming Service offered by the British Wireless for the Blind Fund.
The New Milton Talking Newspaper is managed by a Committee comprising:
Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer
representatives of our volunteers and listeners.
All volunteers and listeners are invited to the annual AGM.
There are approximately 40 volunteers in all:
Paper Collectors, Editors, Studio Directors, Sound Technicians, Registrars and ‘Bagmen’ (who join in on copying the items then delivering the sacks of filled wallets to the Sorting Office for onward delivery).
All the volunteers work on a rota basis with a different team each week. If possible our volunteers work one week in four. See Current Roster in the Menu.
Attendance is supervised by 5 coordinators who check availability each week and arrange swaps where necessary.
New volunteers are welcome – see How you can get involved.
The following steps are involved in producing the New Milton Talking Newspaper:
- Items for recording are selected mainly from the pages of the New Milton Advertiser and Lymington Times (the A & T) with a few articles from the Bournemouth Daily Echo, New Forest Post, Southern Daily Echo, the magazine “Yours” and Hampshire Life.
- Two free copies of the A & T are made available to us by courtesy of Mr Charles Curry, the owner of the paper. These are collected early on a Thursday afternoon by a member of our Paper Collectors team and delivered to the home of the Editor of the week with two copies of the New Forest Post and cuttings from the Bournemouth Daily Echo and Southern Daily Echo.
- the editor selects suitable items for the recording of the edition, lasting approx 50-60 minutes.
- Production takes place every Friday morning between 8.30am and 11.30. The first team of Sound Technician and 3 Readers record the edition under the management of a Studio Director who also supervises the copying of the edition.
- Returned wallets are emptied, registered and refilled with either memory sticks or compact disks (CDs) by a second team of 3 Registrars , before being taken to the Sorting Office in New Milton by the Bagman.
- The wallets are delivered to listeners and returned to the studio by first class post and free of charge, by courtesy of Royal Mail.
- No subscription charge is made for the service to listeners. All listeners are required to do is to reverse the address label on the wallet and post it back.